ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My Friend was Scammed out of her truck
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:47 am 

Below is a slightly modified statement that a friend gave to police after she was scammed out of her truck. This is being posted in the hope that someone else sees it and these guys can be tracked. The fraud took place in Sault Ste. Marie Ontario Canada, just across the border from the Eastern Upper Penninsula of Michigan......

Here is her statement:
On Thursday September 8, 2005 at approximately 10:30 a.m., I received a call from a payphone, someone inquiring about the 2001 Ford Explorer XLT that I had listed on a local Internet site in Sault Ste. Marie Ontario Canada for $13,000.00.

We made arrangements for him to come and look at the truck at 1:00 p.m. that afternoon. He came at 12:00 noon with his friend. They were driving a black 1997 Chevy Camaro a with British Columbia plate on the back.

I was told that the man interested in my truck was named Adam Brewer. He was a white man. He was about 22-24 years old, stood approximately 5’10” – 6’ and weighed about 160 lbs. He had short dark hair (the sides and back) and the top was bleached (an orange colour). “Adam” told me that his father had a 1996 Explorer and that he lived here in the Soo all of his life.

His friend stood about 5’8” and weighed about 150lbs. He wore sunglasses and had black, short hair. He was not Hispanic but of similar colour. I didn’t get his name.

They took the truck for a “test drive” and I made them leave me the key for their car. It was a single key with a Canadian Tire service tag on it that said the year and make of the car. They came back from their test drive and “Adam” offered me $12,500.00 for the truck. I accepted and told him that I would anything but a certified cheque, money order or cash. We mad further arrangements for him to go to the bank and get a certified cheque, for me to go to the License Bureau and get the seller’s package, and finally for him to come, give me the cheque and pick up the truck.

Around 4:30 that afternoon, “Adam” called again from a pay phone, stating that he was at the Bank of Montreal and asked if I could drive him to Canadian Tire so that he could get the truck certified. I refused to drive him and he asked me if he could use my plates because it is illegal to drive without plates. I also refused this request. He said he would call a tow truck.

Shortly after 5:00 p.m. he came with his friend. I got him to sign a receipt for me and one for him. He gave me the “certified cheque” in a Bank of Montreal ATM deposit envelope. I gave him the keys to my truck and the seller’s package. We shook hands and he left driving the truck without plates. He said he was going to go the back way to Canadian Tire, through the Grand Blvd. area around Northern Heights school.

At 9:00 a.m. on Friday, September 9, 2005, I went to my bank, the ASCU on Trunk Road to deposit the cheque. I went to the teller, she stamped it and deposited it into my account.

On Thursday, September 15, 2005 at approximately 4:00 p.m. an employee called from my bank to ask me to bring her another cheque because the one I deposited came back “unable to locate” She didn’t know what that term meant and neither did I. She told me to leave it with her and she would look into it.
Just after I talked to her, I couldn’t wait and I called the Bank where the cheque was supposed to be written from. I don’t remember the name of the lady I spoke to there but I asked her what “unable to locate” meant and she couldn’t answer. I gave her the number for my bank and she said she would look into it.

On Friday, September 16, 2005 at approximately 10:00 a.m. I received a call from the manager at my bank informing me that the cheque was in fact fake. She told me that she had already left a message for our local Fraud Unit and that the bank would accommodate me.

I then reported the truck stolen to the desk sgt. on duty, who told me that they would forward my information to the Fraud Unit on Monday the 19th, I contacted my insurance company, my loan officer, a lawyer etc.

At 4:00 p.m. on Friday the 16th, my husband and I were forced to put the $12,500.00 into a personal line of credit. I was so upset that I signed the papers and left my husband in the bank to talk to the manager.

On Monday, September 19, 2005, I received a call from the Fraud Unit at the Sault Police Service. She took my information and told me she would get approval to have the truck listed as stolen.
She in fact did this and had it listed Canada wide as stolen. She explained to me what “Adam” would be charged with if he is caught.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:42 am 
This is the second case lately I have heard of the scammers picking up a vehicle and leaving a counterfeit check, I am very sorry to hear the scammers are progressing to face to face transactions. Good luck finding Adam, I am sure that is an alias.