There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Horse Thieves
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:54 am 

Hello,

I'm an amateur screenwriter who is writing a family film inspired by the scam experience/research that our family experienced last year about this time.

We listed a horse on the Internet and a “Sir Paul Anderson” from London contacted me. His voice was that of a foreigner, Middle Eastern descent.

Initially, I fell for his persistence but soon realized it was a form of the Nigerian Scam. The arrangement was for his "inspector" to come on our place to inspect/pick up the horse. We arranged a date for him to come to our home. Then the check came for over the amount that the horse was worth and I knew then what was up because of an attempt on our family business was scammed likewise a few years before.

I was so incensed! I called the FBI -- they waved me off with a "we're too busy fighting terrorists”. I called our states Atty. General's office and they told me they had a case were a lady lost 30g and her horses. I was even more incensed.

All kinds of questions and scenarios popped into my head. (a habit of writers) Where did these horses end up? Better yet, were did the money go? Was it lining some individual's pocket or was it a group effort. I talked to everyone. Our local sheriff’s dept was the only law-enforcing agency that offered help. They would question the inspector when he came but they were sure he would plead the protection of a hired third party entity hired to pick up some animals. In other words, don't think they could help me much.

At that particular time, my husband said it was enough. I wanted to nab the guy; he didn't think it was wise. Too risky. So he emailed Mr. Anderson telling him not to contact us any further.

My neck hair was ruffled. I kept repeating to myself his name "Mr. Anderson" in a Matrix tone of voice. How dare he! So my only reproof left was to write about it. And I am with a few production people in the wings waiting to see the finished product.

Although I have no proof since we let the opportunity slide, I suspect the inspector drives the horses to a distant sale and sells them as loose horses. In my phone conversation with Mr. A he was very inquisitive about whether the horse was registered or not. I'm thinking because he doesn't want any way to trace the horse. Loose horses are sold loose with no one to tell the bidders the horse’s background. They usually are sold to the local renderer because no one wants to buy a horse without knowing its background. The inspector takes his cut out of the action by taking the money the horses bring at the sale.

Speculating further (absolutely no proof), Mr. A was Middle Eastern. Post 911 profiling (I hate the word but the art exists) has me questioning where is the overage money from the scam going?

I currently writing act III and need some information to complete it. If I've missed this on your website, please forgive.

I still have the original check from Mr. Anderson, which was mailed from London with no return address on it. The fraudulent cashier's check has Northeast Bank Auburn, Me on it. It does have two signatures (surprisingly they're women's names).

Questions I have...

NE bank told me the check was fraudulent and was probably made from their computers. Is that so?

I assume if we took the scam further that the overages would have been demanded at the time of the pick up of the horse. In what form would they be requested? Personal check, wired, Cashier's Check?

If the scam artist receives it by wire....does he close the account soon after? Does he open it under a different name? Why aren't they caught on the other end?

How does law enforcement catch them? For the script, I could use some suggestion on how to trap the artist.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Kind Regards,
Motherof8

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:56 pm 
Gold Member

It is extremely unlikely anyone would have turned up to inspect the horse - the scammers are just interested in getting you to cash the check (which will be for more than the agreed price), and send the overage by either Western Union or Moneygram to an alleged 3rd party, such as the horse inspector, or maybe a shipping agent, who they say need to be paid in advance for their services. Money sent by WU or Moneygram is completely untraceable - the scammer just turns up at the WU agent office quotes the money transfer number, and his handed the money.
Bank transfers are sometimes requested, but this is the exception, not the rule. There is no hard evidence to suggest the money fraudulently obtained is used for terrorist purposes, probably only lining somone's pocket, but you cannot say for sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:54 am 

Thank you for responding. A few questions if I may?

maninthestreet wrote:
It is extremely unlikely anyone would have turned up to inspect the horse -

That's what I thought, too, but after talking to the local Atty. Generals office they stated a women had lost her horses too. Where'd they go?

the scammers are just interested in getting you to cash the check (which will be for more than the agreed price), and send the overage by either Western Union or Moneygram to an alleged 3rd party, such as the horse inspector, or maybe a shipping agent, who they say need to be paid in advance for their services.

Shipping agent, yes, since the "intent" was to ship the horse overseas.

Money sent by WU or Moneygram is completely untraceable - the scammer just turns up at the WU agent office quotes the money transfer number, and his handed the money.

Is there an amount limit? They hand them only cash?

Bank transfers are sometimes requested, but this is the exception, not the rule. There is no hard evidence to suggest the money fraudulently obtained is used for terrorist purposes, probably only lining somone's pocket, but you cannot say for sure.

I absolutely agree about no hard evidence. But I also know that these scams evolve, do they not? They could initially line one man's pocket and change toward funding a group. Totally feasible. As a writer, I'm trying to devise that "hard evidence". :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:37 pm 

It is extremely unlikely anyone would have turned up to inspect the horse -

That's what I thought, too, but after talking to the local Atty. Generals office they stated a women had lost her horses too. Where'd they go?

Most likely they shipped them to the thieves through some special service the poor horses were probably adopted by someone after they were left at the shipping area.

the scammers are just interested in getting you to cash the check (which will be for more than the agreed price), and send the overage by either Western Union or Moneygram to an alleged 3rd party, such as the horse inspector, or maybe a shipping agent, who they say need to be paid in advance for their services.

Shipping agent, yes, since the "intent" was to ship the horse overseas.

Money sent by WU or Moneygram is completely untraceable - the scammer just turns up at the WU agent office quotes the money transfer number, and his handed the money.

Is there an amount limit? They hand them only cash?

The payment services will put it as a check first and then cash the check at the counter, they have to have ID in most countries to get the cash but if you are using a really good fake ID who would be the wiser an untrained clerk?

Monies can go to anything from funding terrorist organizations to Meth Operations and other Drug smuggling operations , lining the pockets of the big bosses you name it they spend the money on all sorts of stuff.

I absolutely agree about no hard evidence. But I also know that these scams evolve, do they not? They could initially line one man's pocket and change toward funding a group. Totally feasible. As a writer, I'm trying to devise that "hard evidence". Smile

If you really want to know about this stuff you should talk to a few people, I would start with going on over to 419eater.com or 419legal.org and talk to those who really get the nitty gritty on these scumbags. What I can tell you is that through all of my research what I have and am learning is blowing my mind, man these are sick people behind this stuff.[/b]