ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lonely Hearts Scam
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:04 pm 

My ex-wife started exchanging emails and chatting with a person claiming to be an American that was in Nigeria working as a civil engineer on a road building project. He convinced her to cash som U.S. Postal Money Orders that turned out to be counterfeit. He was using the name "Nickson Jones" and had the following yahoo email address: "gallantjones". I contacted yahoo and they ultimately deleted his profile but he has also used the following aliases: "gallantgiggs", "gallentjones", "rickgiggs", "nick51mi". He claims to be an American of Japanese and Hawaiian descent. He also goes by the name of: "Rick Giggs".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:59 pm 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

This is one that I think I might need to add another section of the board for. It is typically called Romance Scams since the "hook" is that they pretend that they want to start a relationship with you. Once the topic of money comes in, it runs like the counterfeit cashier's check scam . . . I send you a check, you cash it, and forward me part of it.

Share your story with the media and educate others about scams! Details here http://scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6319
Sign our petition http://www.change.org/actions/view/crea ... s_programs
Follow our blog http://scamvictimsunited.wordpress.com/
Find us on Twitter, Facebook and more http://www.retaggr.com/page/ShawnMosch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:11 pm 
Romance scams and roommmate scams seem to be very popular as of late,

Post subject: romance scam
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:53 pm 

Hi ,
I am currently being "romanced" by a young lady by the name of "Sandra Awolowo" a native Nigerian living in Florida. she is now on business in Nigeria for her father, She goes by the name of Flakeskiss@yahoo. Sent beautiful pics, even some x-rated ones and professes her undying love for me. She has even sgreed to join in threesomes and other wild sexual acts with me. Of course, none of this can happen until I cash $5600 worth of money orders that are coming to me from her clients. She, of course is unable to cash international payments in Africa and, once the money clears, I can just forward the cash to her via, you guessed it, Western Union. My red flags went up immediately, but especially high when the name that she wanted me to send it to wasn't anywhere anything close to "Sandra". It was a Nigerian man's name!!! I am still stringing her along, but it is getting old. She even gave me a number so that I can call her whenever I want.
I met my fiance on the internet, but she never asked me to send her money!!!
wins88

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:23 pm 

These are called " Sweetheart " Scams for more information go to http://www.fraudaid.com and click on the sweetheart scam section. If you are currently being romanced by someone in this manner, cease all communication immediately and do not for any reason receive merchandise from them or send them any money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:48 am 

Unfortunately, as armac previously stated, these frauds are becoming all too commonplace, and the modus operandi is proving to be a huge success, netting millions of dollars from the love-stricken victims. This is a particularly nasty scam, as it plays on the vulnerability of good hearted people who are lonely and seeking companionship.

I would suggest that if the scammer has any real information about you, or details that could be traced back to you personally, that you stop 'stringing them along' since these criminals have associate networks around the world. Simply drop all communication and block their address from your email client. If they call, just hang up the phone.

Post subject: No strings attached!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:47 pm 

I agree with you about stopping all communication, and I have. Even when I told this individual that I knew all about the "sweetheart scams" and the 419 letters, "she" continued to correspond. This was probably because they had already gone through the trouble of producing all those bogus documents.
Well, Ms. Sandra my love, twas never meant to be. Seeya! lol!

Thanks!
Wins88

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:44 am 
A customer of our bank has been a victm twice in the last month of these sweetheart scams. He is losing money and will not listen to us. It is very sad.

Post subject: Roses, Chocolates and Fake Cashiers Checks
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 3:59 pm 

Hi, I am new here and was looking on the internet for information on these Scammers. Just yesterday a friend of mine was nearly scammed and scared me to see how easy it was for a complete stranger to swindle someone. She has nothing and would have lost everything had she had cashed these checks.

This friend of mine had been telling me of a man she had met on the internet that has proposed to her and has proclaimed his love for her. He sent her flowers and Chocolates on several occassions. Emailed her photos of a very attractive young man claiming to be from Florida and working as an engineer in Nigeria. Instantly I was leary of this man. She had never met him in person and he was making arrangements to come meet her and begging to marry her. First thought was illegal visa - marry my friend to become a citizen. Then yesterday she told me he sent her money as well as envelopes to send to other people in the U.S. for him. Claiming that he needed her to send these people these envelopes so that he could get paid for his jobs and come home to the U.S.

Instantly I told her not to do anything with the Cashiers check for 5500.00 and to check for fraud first. I told her of the scams and how they work. Then I had her bring the "Other" envelopes to me. The Envelopes were mailed Fed Ex along with a Cashiers check for her. She was told to mail the other envelopes out over night for him. The Envelopes were tattered and old and brown and I opened them only to find over 100K In Fraudulent checks being sent to other people probably being scammed as well. I phoned the banks and of course they were all Fraudulent. The banks had me ship them with the information from the Fed-ex form to the banks. We mailed them all off and shreddded her check. The guy is still paging her and writing her to mail the other envelopes off and he was so sorry that he did not know her Check was fraudulent. He still claims he loves her and then at the end reminds her that he knows where she lives and if she does not mail out the other envelopes that he will come to the U.S. and Harm her.

I told her that he is not coming here and that he will move on to his next target. She is hurt I am sure, she felt this guy was truly in love with her. But it was all via internet and all fraud to butter her up to trust him.

I am afraid that other women are being swindled everyday, men preying on single women that trust people. I wish there was someway that we could get the warning out to these people, Pop ups in chat rooms that would forewarn these users.

My heart goes out to all the victims that were not fortunate enough to catch it before they lost money and I will continue to try and combat the scammers by making the public aware.

Post subject: Re: Roses, Chocolates and Fake Cashiers Checks
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:44 am 
MomTx wrote:
Hi, I am new here and was looking on the internet for information on these Scammers. Just yesterday a friend of mine was nearly scammed and scared me to see how easy it was for a complete stranger to swindle someone. She has nothing and would have lost everything had she had cashed these checks.

This friend of mine had been telling me of a man she had met on the internet that has proposed to her and has proclaimed his love for her. He sent her flowers and Chocolates on several occassions. Emailed her photos of a very attractive young man claiming to be from Florida and working as an engineer in Nigeria. Instantly I was leary of this man. She had never met him in person and he was making arrangements to come meet her and begging to marry her. First thought was illegal visa - marry my friend to become a citizen. Then yesterday she told me he sent her money as well as envelopes to send to other people in the U.S. for him. Claiming that he needed her to send these people these envelopes so that he could get paid for his jobs and come home to the U.S.

Instantly I told her not to do anything with the Cashiers check for 5500.00 and to check for fraud first. I told her of the scams and how they work. Then I had her bring the "Other" envelopes to me. The Envelopes were mailed Fed Ex along with a Cashiers check for her. She was told to mail the other envelopes out over night for him. The Envelopes were tattered and old and brown and I opened them only to find over 100K In Fraudulent checks being sent to other people probably being scammed as well. I phoned the banks and of course they were all Fraudulent. The banks had me ship them with the information from the Fed-ex form to the banks. We mailed them all off and shreddded her check. The guy is still paging her and writing her to mail the other envelopes off and he was so sorry that he did not know her Check was fraudulent. He still claims he loves her and then at the end reminds her that he knows where she lives and if she does not mail out the other envelopes that he will come to the U.S. and Harm her.

I told her that he is not coming here and that he will move on to his next target. She is hurt I am sure, she felt this guy was truly in love with her. But it was all via internet and all fraud to butter her up to trust him.

I am afraid that other women are being swindled everyday, men preying on single women that trust people. I wish there was someway that we could get the warning out to these people, Pop ups in chat rooms that would forewarn these users.

My heart goes out to all the victims that were not fortunate enough to catch it before they lost money and I will continue to try and combat the scammers by making the public aware.

You should have sent the package of checks to the Secret Service