ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 1:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Apartment Scam - nearly taken...
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:24 pm 

Thought I'd post this for everyone who owns apartments or wants to share rent.

I have an apartment that I posted for rent on Apartment.com. A guy from London wrote back and said he would pay the whole years rent because he is an Archeologist and works through Financiers who are paying for his stay.

So I tell him to mail me the check and it took a week or so (after he said his mother was ill) and it came from Qchex.com. It wasn't for the full year's amount ($9750) but instead for $8500. I checked the code on Qchex and it didn't work. There was a business name and a bank name and they were legit. I held off on cashing the check because something didn't feel right. I asked him to send me his flight info so we can meet to sign the lease. Never got flight info.

I called his number and asked about the $8500 and he said that it was a clerical error and that $3000 of that $8500 was supposed to go to him. My balance was on the way.

THEN he emails me (quickly) that he needs to pay $3000 to a guy in Canada (who's on a trip btw) for equipment he is using for his work. I was supposed to MoneyGram him the money from the check he sent me. I was then supposed to send him the info with all of the transaction numbers (scan and email the receipt with my info, MTCN, secret phrase whatever, and dollar amount). This is probably so that he knows I went to the MoneyGram office and actually sent it. Bastards are getting smart aren't they.

Red Flags went up bigtime!!!!!

I'm waiting hear what his excuse is now. I haven't cashed the check nor will I. This is an easy way for these bastards to get YOUR banking info. Never give out your banking info to anyone you don't know.

Only rent to people you've met in person and are legit. Do background checks and credit history.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:32 pm 

KUDOS! to Drummer for not getting scammed. Spread the word to your family and friends about avoiding scams such as the one that almost bit you and others. visit http://www.fraudaid.com to learn about other scams circulating as well.

the more we can get the word out in our communities the less victims will be taken down.

Post subject: Money - Gram - Western Union CLosing In
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:08 am 
Western Union is monitoring large wire transfers and refunding ones where they suspect fraud. The scammers are using Money Gram for as long as that works for them- or until enough people report fraud.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:20 pm 

Where did you get this information because Money gram and Western Union both have known this has been going on for years and little is being done to stop this. I can walk into any western union right now with 10 grand and tell them to wire it to Nigeria and its a crap shoot at best to whether the clerk will even bother to ask me if I know the person this is going to. They want the fees bottom line, and on 10k the fees are steep.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:29 pm 
KarynSolo wrote:
Where did you get this information because Money gram and Western Union both have known this has been going on for years and little is being done to stop this. I can walk into any western union right now with 10 grand and tell them to wire it to Nigeria and its a crap shoot at best to whether the clerk will even bother to ask me if I know the person this is going to. They want the fees bottom line, and on 10k the fees are steep.

The Nigerians are getting smarter they are employing people here and in England, Amsterdam, and Spain to p/u their dirty cash and convert it to money orders then mail it to them :idea: